All travelers will need a valid passport, good for at least six months past the anticipated date of return. (Note: A passport card will not suffice.)

If you have a passport:

  • Check the expiration date TODAY to see that it will be valid for at least 6 months after your return date and...

  • Check that it has at least two empty pages and is in good condition.

  • If you need to renew your passport, click here to begin the process. 

If you don’t have a passport:

  • Apply for one IMMEDIATELY. You may show your receipt to your trip leader to waive your deposit. Click here to begin the application process. 

You will need…

Proof of Citizenship:

APPLICANTS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate. Passports that are limited in validity will need to be supplemented by other evidence. A birth certificate must include your full name, date and place of birth, sex, date the birth record was filed, the seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records (state, county, or city/town office) and the full names of your parent(s). APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad.

Proof of Identity:

You may submit items such as the following containing your signature AND a photograph that is a good likeness of you: previous or current U.S. passport book; previous or current U.S. passport card; driver's license (not temporary or learner's permit;) Certificate of Naturalization; Certificate of Citizenship; military identification; or federal, state, or municipal government employee identification card.

Recent Color Photograph:

Full front view of the face and 2X2 inches in size. 

Note: We will be collecting passports shortly before our departure to allow us to facilitate various travel protocols and to prevent the chance of any loss happening between now and left off. Be assured that once your passport is given to the Compassion Department it is kept secure in our office and can be accessed should you need to travel between then and your project date.


If a visa is necessary for your travel, Eastside will take responsibility for researching visa requirements and will advise you of any documentation needed. The cost of your visa, if required, is included in the total cost of your trip and will be covered by your support raising.  


Government health agencies may recommend vaccination against certain illnesses when traveling abroad. Foreign governments may require various vaccinations of those entering their borders. For any immunization inquiries, or details of any warnings on foreign health conditions, call the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) at (404) 639-2572 or visit their website at http://www.cdc.gov. Another excellent resource for health warnings, entry requirements, and country profiles is Travel Health Online, reached through their website http://www.tripprep.com.

Eastside Christian Church makes no claim to medical knowledge and expects team members to do their “due diligence” with regard to immunizations. We suggest that you refer to the above resources, consult with their personal physician and make the decisions that are best for your individual health and protection. We do ask that those traveling to urban settings be up-to-date on their tetanus vaccination prior to travel and recommend that participants obtain the H1N1 vaccination.

Eastside Compassion will take responsibility for advising you of any REQUIRED immunizations for travel – either for entry to the country of destination, or for re-entry to the United States. We will also advise when our missionaries deem that anti-malarials are wise and will require that team members take them. In most cases we will be able to acquire these anti-malarials “in-country” through our missionaries.